The Academic Research Conference on Safety of Journalists is now looking for paper submissions. The event will take place on the 3rd and 4th of May 2017 in Jakarta, Indonesia. “Full or partial” bursaries are available to presenters.
The event is organised by the Hong Kong Baptist University and UNESCO, and the conference is held in observance of the World Press Freedom Day of 2017. The organisers have suggested the following topics:
- how a culture of intolerance intimidates journalists and other commentators
- threats from the ground, in the form of aggressive populist movements
- the effectiveness of existing training and other programmes addressing journalists’ safety and impunity
- journalists’ safety and impunity from a comparative, multi-country perspective
- “meta” questions of how to frame research into the safety of journalists
Paper abstracts are due by January 9th 2017, and acceptees will be notified by the end of February.
Further information of the conference is available at http://www.worldpressfreedom.info/.