The journal Feminist Media Studies is calling for essays for its thematic issue, entitled “Women in Sports Media: New Scholarly Engagements”. The contributions would be published in the journal’s “Commentary and Criticism” section.
The issue is looking to expand scholarly discussions beyond the critique of representations. The editors have listed a number of potential topics, including (but not limited to):
- Media coverage of women’s sports’ union
- Women’s sports media activism and #blacklivesmatter
- Framing Muslim athletes in the hijab
- Representations of pregnancy and athleticism
- Women working in sports media industries
Full essays, of maximum of 1000 words, should be submitted by the end of April 2018.
The full call for papers is available on the journal’s Facebook page, or from the ECREA mailing list archive.