The ECREA Science and Environment Section invites abstract submissions for an edited volume with the title “When the Local meets the Digital: Implications and Consequences for Environmental Communication”. Scholars are also invited for participating in the webinar on this same topic on 15 March 2018. The edited volume and the webinar are a joint initiative with the Environment, Science and Risk Communication Working Group of IAMCR. The edited book will explore the interplay of the local and the digital in environmental communication (research).
Here are some questions that can guide contributions:
- How is environmental communication impacted by the intertwining of the local and the digital?
- How are digital media influencing environmental communication at the local level?
- What is/could be the role of environmental communication in the emergence of local environmental activism, networking, and political and social participation?
- What is/could be the role of journalism and news media – mainstream and/or alternative – in navigating the local and digital?
- What are the local experiences of digital collaborative platforms (eg. /AirBnB/, /Uber/ or /Amazon/) that in so many instances have become extractive platforms?
- How, if at all, are environmental or social movements created or redefined in response to these new injustices originating in distant digital spaces?
- How does the prevailing political economic system impact on the local experience of ‘Green Growth’ initiatives, such as SmartCities?
Deadline for abstracts is on 15 January 2018. Further information can be found here.