The conference “Cultures of Participation – Arts, Digital Media and Politics” is now accepting contribution proposals. The conference will take place between the 18th and 20th of April 2018 in Aarhus, Denmark.
As suggested by its title, the conference theme is three-pronged. For journalism scholars, the sub-theme of digital media should be especially interesting. In this vein, the organisers have provided the following topic suggestions:
- Critical analysis on how media technologies facilitate, and at the same time condition, citizens’ participation
- Contributions on the emancipatory/empowering use of media technologies and/or critical aspects concerning citizens’ use of media technologies
- Theoretical explorations on changes in power dynamics between users of digital technologies and professional workers in cultural institutions
- Case based studies that focus on how technologies condition the participative potentials of users and how users’ participation is shaped by platforms’ algorithmic logics
- Studies on the global/local challenges when facilitating participation on commercial social media
- Studies on the institutional challenges when encouraging participation on established social media platforms
Paper and panel abstracts must be submitted by January 5th 2018. Acceptance decisions will be communicated by January 21.
Further information on the event is available on the conference website.