The ECREA Science and Environment Section invites abstract submissions for an edited volume with the title “When the Local meets the Digital: Implications and Consequences for Environmental Communication”. Scholars are also invited for participating in the webinar on this same topic on 15 March 2018. The edited volume and the webinar are a joint initiative with the Environment, Science and Risk Communication Working Group of IAMCR. The edited book will explore the interplay of the local and the digital in environmental communication (research).
[spoiler title=’Here are some questions that can guide contributions:’ style=’default’ collapse_link=’true’]
- How is environmental communication impacted by the intertwining of the local and the digital?
- How are digital media influencing environmental communication at the local level?
- What is/could be the role of environmental communication in the emergence of local environmental activism, networking, and political and social participation?
- What is/could be the role of journalism and news media – mainstream and/or alternative – in navigating the local and digital?
- What are the local experiences of digital collaborative platforms (eg. /AirBnB/, /Uber/ or /Amazon/) that in so many instances have become extractive platforms?
- How, if at all, are environmental or social movements created or redefined in response to these new injustices originating in distant digital spaces?
- How does the prevailing political economic system impact on the local experience of ‘Green Growth’ initiatives, such as SmartCities?[/spoiler]
Deadline for abstracts is on 15 January 2018. Further information can be found here.