The organisers invite contributions from scholars to Academic Research Conference on Safety of Journalists. The conference, taking place on 3–4 May 2017, is a special academic session held alongside UNESCO’s observance of World Press Freedom Day 2017 in Jakarta.
Particularly (but not exclusively) welcome is scholarship that examines:
- how a culture of intolerance intimidates journalists and other commentators;
- threats from the ground, in the form of aggressive populist movements;
- the effectiveness of existing training and other programmes addressing journalists’ safety and impunity;
- journalists’ safety and impunity from a comparative, multi-country perspective;
- “meta” questions of how to frame research into the safety of journalists.
Deadline for abstracts is on 9 January 2016. More information is available on the events website here.