New Media & Society is calling for papers for a special issue called Media, Identity, and Online Communities in a Changing Arab World. This issue will examine the role of new media in the construction of online communities in the Arab world.
Here are some suggested themes for articles
- Theorization of the Online Arab Public Sphere
- User-generated Content and Participatory Cultures
- New Media and Social Movement Theory in the Context of the Arab Uprisings
- Arab Spring and the Mobilizing Potential of New Media
- Media Convergence and Citizen Journalism after the “Arab Spring”
- The Political-Cultural Division in the Public Sphere
- Network Cultural Production in the Digital age
- Digital Divide and Participation in the Public Sphere
- New Media and the Construction of New Arab Identities
- Regulation Policies and Standardization Processes, and Their Impact on Institutional and Individual Uses of Technology
Deadline for proposals is March 25 2017. The full CFP can be found here.