The workshop on Algorithmic Personalization & News (APEN 18), held in conjunction with the International Conference on Web and Social Media (ICWSM 18). The workshop is held on 25 June 2018.
This workshop is intended to provide a platform to discuss the risks and opportunities of algorithmic personalization systems in the online news environments, and also to encourage design of auditing mechanisms for such news personalization algorithms. Our aim is to foster dialogue between the different communities interested in the topic by bringing together academics and researchers from the fields of computer science, media studies, journalism and communication sciences, as well as industry practitioners from mainstream media, social media organizations, and startups.
Main Themes of Discussion for the Workshop
The workshop program is structured around the two main themes of risks and opportunities of algorithmic personalization for news. Some relevant topics for each of these themes include (but are not limited to):
*Theme I: Risks*
* Societal risks of algorithmic personalization in relation to news
* Auditing mechanisms for personalization in news dissemination and
* Developing systems for personalizing news while optimizing for other
factors (e.g. opinion and topic diversity, news value, local
*Theme II: Opportunities*
* Using personalization for increasing user engagement with current
affairs or political news
* Designing personalized recommendations for public service media
* Leveraging geographic localization, or other user models for
Submission deadline for abstracts is 30 April 2018.
Link to full call for papers.