Journal Ethical Space is calling for papers for a special issue “How do you feel? Ethical challenges in media treatment and representation of vulnerable people”.
Topics authors might want to consider, but should not be limited to, include:
- Hearing the voices of the marginalised
- Approaches to interviewing/not interviewing vulnerable people
- Mental illness, access to the media and the issue of consent.
- Intrusion into grief/privacy versus fair representation
- Media representations of grief, bereavement, mental illness, suicide, disability, ethnic minorities, faith or sexual orientation.
- Using innovative practices to tell vulnerable people’s stories
- The influence of social media
- Engaging the audience in death, trauma and personal vulnerability e.g. overcoming compassion fatigue, including user generated content or offering audience interactivity
- Teaching ethics relating to media reporting of vulnerable people
Deadline for submissions is on April 23rd. Further information can be found here.