The second Mediating the Real conference, entitled “Mediations in a post-truth era”, is calling for paper proposals. The conference will be hosted by the University of Otago in Dunedin, New Zealand, between 22nd and 24th of November 2017.
The event organisers especially invite contribution drawing from the works of Jacques Lacan and Jean Baudrillard. The organisers have provided the following, non-exhaustive list of suggested themes:
- What does post-truth mean in the contemporary media saturated context?
- A consideration of the increasingly banal use of ‘post-truth’ in news chatter and the implications of this for understandings of ‘truthful’ media
- Where is the real located in this context?
- What does the anguished / anxious response to ‘post truth’ tell us about contemporary subjectivity and sociality?
- What do Baudrillard’s critical interventions tell us about the contemporary production of reality?
Paper abstracts are due by August 1st. Further information is available on the University of Otago website.