Conference Freedom of Speech in France, Germany, and Ireland in Time of Conflict is calling for paper proposals. Event is organized by the Newspaper & Periodical History Forum of Ireland in association with the French Embassy of Ireland, the German Embassy of Ireland, and the National Library of Ireland. Conference takes place in National Library of Ireland Fri. 25 – Sat. 26 November 2016.
Proposals can cover any historical periods, and can take either comparative or transnational perspective. Papers are invited but not limited to the following areas:
- journalism and free speech
- reportage in times of conflict
- cartoons, satire, and free speech
- state censorship
- the role of journalists in reporting conflict
- war correspondents
- particular news organs, i.e. trench newspapers
Abstracts should be no longer than 250 words. The closing date for submission of proposals is Friday 1 July 2016. Additional information can be found here.